Two classroom buildings were constructed as part of the original six-building campus, but increasing enrollment created an almost immediate need for more classroom space. John Clarke Science was constructed in 1962 to meet that need and was followed by two more dedicated classroom buildings (William C. Gaige Hall and John E. Fogarty Hall) and a Professional Studies building (Horace Mann Hall) that also contains classrooms.
John Clarke Science Building (1963)
Though less well known today than his associate Roger Williams, John Clarke played a major role in the colonial history of Rhode Island . Having fled first England and then Massachusetts because of religious persecution , he settled on Aquidneck Island, co-founded Newport, and led the second Baptist church in the colonies. As a result of his long term diplomatic efforts, King Charles II of England granted the Royal Charter of 1663 that recognized the Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Planta tions. This document, authored by John Clarke, guaranteed religious freedom and served until 1843 as the Rhode Island Constitution.
On May 8, 1963 at the dedication ceremony for the John Clarke Science Building, Dr. William D. Metz commented that though many in attendance would have wished to name the building after a philanthropic donor, no large donation was present for the construction of the building. Additionally, the college chose not to name the building after someone associated with the college, but rather “after a person who never had any contact whatsoever with the college …one of the great founders of Rhode Island, a man whose achievements were great and whose character was worthy of emulation.”
The John Clarke Science Building was designed by Charles A. Maguire and Associates. The horizontal building of light -colored brick with a flat roof complimented the original designs of Alger and Craig-Lee Halls. Two narrow sets of ribbon windows with square panes increase the buildings horizontal qualities and provide the only ornamentation on the otherwise stark building. Small entry-ells project from the building’s southern facade facing the quadrangle at the western and eastern ends. An additional wing is located off the northwestern corner of the building.
William C. Gaige Hall (1966)
Originally called Horace Mann Hall when it opened in February 1966, Gaige Hall provided needed classroom and office space for the overflowing campus. Designed by Donald J. Prout Associates, construction on the building’s west wing began that spring. In 1971 this building which housed liberal arts classrooms was renamed for Dr. William Gaige because of his commitment to expanding the College’s liberal arts curriculum . At the dedication, Dr. Gaige said, ” I’m very pleased to have that particular building named after me… I like being between James Adams and Michael Walsh. “
William Clement Gaige was the third President (1952-1966) of the Rhode Island College of Education . He oversaw the move to the new Mount Pleasant Campus, the subsequent growth in enrollment, the change of name to Rhode Island College, and the institution ‘s first accreditation. Under his leadership, Rhode Island College expanded its liberal a1ts curriculum, providing a variety of courses of study in addition to the Education program for which the school had long been known . During his tenure he oversaw the construction of fourteen campus buildings and helped to establish the Council of Rhode Island College and the Rhode Island College Foundation.
Born in Pennsylvania, Dr. Gaige graduated from Oberlin College and earned advanced degrees from the University of Chicago and Harvard University. Prior to taking office at Rhode Island College he had been a teacher, high school principal, school superintendent, and college instructor in several states. His accomplishments were well recognized, and he was awarded honorary degrees, from not only Rhode Island College (1970), but also the Rhode Island School of Pharmacy and Allied Sciences, Brown University, Providence College, Bryant College, and the University of Rhode Island.
With its light-colored brick, flat roof, and horizontal massing, Gaige Hall is consistent and complimentary to the overall campus design. Narrow vertical windows echoed the former Walsh Center that stood nearby. A two-story lobby hyphenates the wings and opens onto a small patio and steps leading down into the quadrangle.
John E. Fogarty Life Science Building (1975)
Congressman John E. Fogarty served in the US House of Representatives from 1940 until his death in 1967. Born in Providence, he attended LaSalle Academy and Providence College, was trained as a bricklayer, and led a bricklayer’s union before being elected. ln Washington D.C., he earned the nickname “Mr. Public Health” for his commitment to funding health initiatives. Acknowledging his many contributions, a plaque, gift of the Class of 1975, inside the Fogarty Life Science Building, indicates that the building is named in his honor “in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the improvement of educational, medical, and public welfare facilities and programs in the state and nation.”
In 1967 faculty from the biology and physical science departments began to draw up preliminary specifications for the construction of a new science facility that would be based upon their teaching experience and the specific needs of each discipline. Plans focused on creating a life science center and looked forward to the inclusion of future programs in nursing, m ed ica l technology, health science, and physical education . The physical sciences would remain in the John Clarke Science Building and would expand into the spaces vacated by biology. Designed by Donald J. Prout Associates, the John E. Fogarty Life Science Building was dedicated on October 19, 1975. Dr. George Hartmann, then chair of the Biology Department, observed that its design created a tremendous increase in the opportunity for interaction between students and faculty. Built of light colored brick and contrasting concrete, the rectangular building’s slightly recessed windows and horizontal massing give it fortress-like qualities. Within its two stories it housed ten biology laboratories, one nursing lecture room , one nursing self study room , nine seminar rooms, nine laboratories, a large lecture hall, three multi-purpose classrooms, three lounge areas, three environmental chambers, and office space for sixty faculty.
Horace Mann Hall (1971)
Horace Mann, often referred to as the father of public schools in America,” served as a model for Henry Barnard and other educational reformers. Born in Massachusetts, he enrolled at Brown University in 1816, after graduating became a tutor at Brown, and then studied law. Becoming well known for his public speeches, he grew increasingly active in advocating for social reform, particularly in the area of education where he viewed public schools as tools for personal enlightenment. As secretary of the Massachusetts Board of Education (1837 to 1848), he started a reform movement that spread throughout the country. He later served in Congress and went on to become the first president of Antioch College.
The classroom building now called William C. Gaige Hall was originally named for Horace Mann. Both the president of Antioch College and the Massachusetts Commissioner of Education participated in its dedication on April 27, 1966. Designed as the Professional Studies building by Fenton G. Keyes Associates, Architects and located close to the Henry Barnard School , the new Horace Mann Hall was dedicated on April 27, 1971 during a conference of educators from throughout the nation , and Horace Mann was once again recognized as the “prime mover m the cause of teacher education and free public education in the United States.”
The looming geometric concrete building features a recessed entryway with brick accents. Jutting out from the northern side of the entrance is a windowless concrete wing that gives the building a fortress-like appearance. A square three story tower with ribbon windows divides the concrete and provides height to the otherwise horizontal building. Heavy concrete piers prevent the windows from circling the entire tower. The building is a good example of Brutalist architecture, popular on college campuses and elsewhere throughout the country in the late 1960s, and it is a more pure illustration of the style than the later 1979 addition to Adams Library.
- 'John Clarke Science Building," Buildings and Named Places Binder. ↵
- Speech, Dr. William D. Metz. July 8, 1963. Rhode Island College. James P. Adams Library, Special Collections. ↵
- 'Still More: As New Buildings Rise, Others are Planned." Folio, Number 1. March 1966. Rhode Island College. James P. Adams Library, Special Collections. ↵
- "R.I. College to Rename Hall for Dr. Gaige, Former Prexy, WHS Head." Greenville Observer Townsman. April 22, 1971. Buildings and Named Places Binder. ↵
- Robert Chiappinelli. "Is Mann Gaiged by name alone?" in "Gaige." Buildings and Named Places Binder. ↵
- "Gaige Hall,' Buildings and Named Places Binder. ↵
- "Inductee Details: Congressman John E. Fogarty." Rhode Island Heritage Hall of Fame. http://www.riheritagehalloffame.org/inductees_detail.cfm?iid=334 (accessed June 29, 2012). ↵
- "Fogarty Life Science Building," Buildings and Named Places Binder. ↵
- "Horace Mann Hall dedication brochure. Rhode Island College. James P. Adams Library, Special Collections. 0.0/11; "Horace Mann Hall," Buildings and Named Places Binder. ↵